Saturday, July 25, 2009

Gassho

In Zen practice, we have a way of placing our hands in a prayerful position called "gassho" and then bowing from the waist. This gesture is used primarily to show gratitude or respect but is rather ubiquitous and can also mean anything from "pardon me" to "pass the salt." During silent retreats we gassho to one another as a means of greeting.

I've just received my first round of fours rounds of chemo and among the post infusion instructions I've received are to avoid handshakes and hugs as my T-cells will be low and I'll be very susceptible to infection. No problem! You all can just expect to see me "gassho" when we meet. I kind of like that idea. Mainstreaming "gassho" could change our whole society (lol)

My first gassho (bow of gratitude) today is for everyone at MD Anderson who worked so flawlessly to help me and Paula get through this first round of chemo.

I had 31 continuous hours of chemicals administered into a blood source near my heart through a "pick line" a catheter that starts near my elbow and follows a vein into my chest. The pick line will be with me for the duration of the chemo. I am Borg. Resistance is futile.

The chemo ended at 4 pm Thursday. We stayed over with Cindy Wigglesworth (God bless you Cindy!) and I drove home Friday. Yes, I drove. I'm feeling fine so far. Spirits are still high. And something has shifted. I've got a brave new confident attitude about this thing. I used to wake up 3-4 times a night in a sweat with the thoughts of premature death. Paula would hold me until they passed. Last night she got an uninterrupted 8 hours of sleep. I woke up 3 times but each time my thoughts were powerful and positive. I'm going to beat this thing.

I've scheduled calls with all my clients for next week and am really looking forward to getting back to what fills my life with so much purpose and meaning.

Bring it on Life! Let me see what you got.

Love you all,

phil

4 comments:

  1. Hey Buddy--Welcome home.

    Love,
    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO great to see your indomitable spirit here Phil! "When a warrior confronts a foe, all things come into focus."

    GASSHO!

    Nathanael

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to hear that your first chemo treatment went well, and that the hospital staff and friends nearby are providing care and support to you and Paula.

    I know that you both are also receiving loving thoughts, prayers, and other forms of healing energy from so many people whose lives you have touched.

    I believe that a positive outlook and a deep connection to life/living can make a real difference in recovery from serious illness. And, it is apparent that you are feeling confident and empowered!

    Love & (virtual) hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gassho, Phil. Know that you are in are thoughts. Julie and Howard

    ReplyDelete